logo
A A A

Engure Doctor’s Surgery

Description

A building with a century long history. Initially, the building housed a border guard company and an apartment of their commander. Later, already in 1927, the municipal government received the title to the building and gave it the name “Doktorāts”. In 1951, Dr Mors set up a hospital with 10 beds here. The longest-serving doctor at the Engure Hospital was the doctor Millija Dēvite, having worked there for more than 20 years. She not only took care of people, but also treated and helped animals. One of her wards was a female bear, which she had brought up.

In 1982, the chief doctor of the Engure Department was Mārtiņš Āboliņš, who was a good doctor and manager, but was released from his duties in 1988 due to participation in the anti-Soviet organisation “Helsinki 86”. In 1999, the hospital was re-organised.

Today, the building houses J. Raibarts family physician’s practice and a social service department.

The building can be viewed from the outside; it has undergone reconstruction, and a car park has been constructed outside, where anyone can park and go for a walk to the beach over the bridge of River Vecupe and visit Engure’s walking paths or enjoy the healing power of a pine forest.

Contact information

End of Hospital street, Engure, Tukums region