logo
A A A

Tukums History Museum “Pils tornis” (Castle Tower)

Description

The castle tower is a fragment of the oldest building in Tukums – the Livonian Order castle. It is believed that the construction of the castle in Tukums was commenced in 1277. The castle was surrounded by a 7.5 m tall and 1.6 m wide stone wall. The castle defence was ensured by an artificial, deep moat and its position on the high bank of the River Slocene.

Only a small stone wall fragment has been
preserved from the big Livonian Order castle, but the castle tower built in the 18th century in turns hosted premises for a prison and the
coronal stocks (granary).

Nowadays, it hosts the history museum of Tukums town, telling about the town’s history from the ancient times up until the modern day.

Entry fee

Entrance fee:
1,50 EUR adults,
1 EUR seniors, students,
3 EUR Family ticket (2 adults + 2 or more children).
Guide service in museum:
foreign languages 15 EUR group to 10 persons, 21 EUR group to 30 persons.

Contact information

Brīvības Sq. 19, Tukums

Working time

20.April - 20.October: Tu. - Sa. 10.00-17.00, Su. 11.00-16.00, Mo.- closed
21.October - 19.April: Tu. - Fr. 10.00-17.00, Sa. - Su. 11.00-16.00, Mo.- closed

Phone

(+371) 63124348, 25622131